At Sandhill Primary School, we recognise the contribution of PE and sports to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities has many benefits and a positive influence on the children; their health, behaviour, concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children. Our priority is to ensure high expectations are set in PE and sport so that all children progress throughout school well, including disadvantaged groups and those with special needs.
What is the Sports Premium?
The funding is jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The money a school receives can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
The DfE has advised possible uses of the funding to include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
More information can be found on the following website, giving reasons for such funding and how it can be spent by schools, as well as the hopeful longer term impact: